Many people think that creating a video is little more than having a subject to film and then turning on the camera. However, there is so much more to it than that as there are many elements to consider to create a good quality film. The equipment you use can make all the difference to the end result. One of the most important pieces of equipment used for videos is lighting, and the following is an overview of why it is so important to have a good video lighting kit.
Why is Lighting Needed?
The main reason that lighting is needed is that the human eye and the camera are two very different things. So, how the camera perceives the natural light and the scene is nothing like what the human eye is seeing. The human eye is far more advanced than even the most technologically advanced camera as it can identify lighting contrasts and finite details that the camera cannot pick up and process. For this reason, lighting is a necessity as it makes the definition of a film or video closer to what the human eye can naturally see.
The Benefits of Using a Good Video Lighting Kit
Choosing a good quality video lighting kit can make a big difference in many aspects of the results you achieve and to the filming and production process. The following are some of the ways in which having a good lighting kit can benefit the video and filming process.
• Mood– The mood of a scene is determined by the lighting. The lighting can create either a subtle or dramatic palette for the scene.
• Quality– The quality of the images is impacted greatly by the lighting. Poor lighting can result in poorly defined and blurry images, and these are issues that are reduced by using a good lighting kit.
• Focus– Using good lighting can help to direct a viewers’ eyes to a specific person or object so that they pick up visual clues that are relevant to a storyline.
• Perception– How people are perceived can change by using good lighting. A good lighting kit can help to influence perception by making people look innocent, angry, dangerous, or beautiful.
• Avoiding distractions– Distractions in a video can cause viewers to miss key details and using a good lighting kit can help to reduce any visual distractions.
• Eliminating shadows– The shadows created by light are one of the biggest problems in filming, but a good lighting kit combined with the technical know-how to use the equipment effectively can remove shadows from a shot.
• Editing– If you use a good video lighting kit and take the time to set it upright, then this reduces the amount of editing that is needed later. A poorly lit video often needs lots of editing and sometimes a reshoot is necessary to rectify the situation.
What is Included in a Good Lighting Kit?
As a new videographer or filmmaker, you will probably start off with the basics and then build your kit as you need different equipment for different videos and films. A good starting point is to have the equipment that includes the lighting needed for the three-point lighting system, which is one of the most commonly used lighting techniques as it properly illuminates the main subject of a scene.
The Three-point lighting system requires a key light, a fill light, and a backlight. The key light is the main light for illuminating the subject, the fill light eliminates the shadows, and the backlight gives a contrast between the main subject and the background environment.
Once you have mastered using the basics, you can add to your equipment. Color sheets can help to create different moods while using f-stops can determine the perfect contrast ratio for your shot. There have been many great technological advances that have improved video lighting kits to help them achieve better effects while also making them more compact, lighter, and energy-efficient.
There are some excellent video lighting kits available, and you don’t necessarily need to spend more to find the best ones. The price doesn’t always reflect how good a lighting kit is, so you should take some time to read about the products before you buy them. You might find that you can get a great video lighting kit on a budget.
Tips for Improving Your Use of Lighting When Videoing
Having the best video lighting kit available won’t make any difference unless you know how to use the equipment to achieve the best results. One tip is to mater the art of using the three-point system first and experiment with using the lights in different positions and at different angles. It is also essential that you don’t forget the importance of natural light. This is especially the case if you are filming outside. For example, you can sometimes use natural light instead of using the backlight for outdoor shots.
Once you have mastered the three-point lighting system and learned how to use natural light, then you can begin to experiment with any other pieces of equipment that have come with your video lighting kit to see the effects they create and how they change the film.
The Bottom Line
Using a good video lighting kit can make a significant difference in the results you achieve. It can impact on the clarity, the mood, the number of distractions, the focus of a scene, how the shot is perceived, and the overall quality. Furthermore, using good lighting will reduce the amount of editing that is needed once filming is complete. Therefore, using a good video lighting kit is essential. However, mastering lighting techniques and experimenting with different methods is just as important to getting good results as having the right equipment.